Devotional | The End Is Near
“The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” (1 Peter 4:7-10 NIV)
The end of all things in near! Every generation since Jesus has, to one degree of fervency or another, proclaimed the truth, “The end is near!” Today it is no different. This devotional however, is not about that. I want to apply this passage in a personal way to you and me.
What I want to remind us all is that the end of all things is near for you - and me. Life is short. It really, really is… then there’s the judgement. (What a cheery devotional.) But Peter gives us some wise and practical advice as we live with the end in mind. He said the end is near, therefore let’s do the following five things well:
1. Make wise choices. Don’t make lazy or impaired decisions but be clear-minded. Knowing God’s Word and his ways will help with this.
2. Be prayerful. Don’t be “holier than thou”, rather seek to live a life of intimacy with God. Include him in every aspect of your life, not just the church stuff. Realise your need for God.
3. Love deeply. Don’t be easily offended rather be forgiving and gracious. Speak kindly to each other and speak kindly about each other.
4. Be hospitable. Do random acts of kindness to those in your world and you’ll be amazed at the sense of community that you will create as a result.
5. Serve each other. Be a contributor not just a consumer. Help us break the back of this egocentric spirit by blessing people with your time and talents.
It is interesting that Peter didn't say, "The end is near therefore put on a sandwich board, go to the main intersection telling them to repent and get right with God!" Here's what I know, as we get better at these five qualities, the grace and anointing of God is going to be so attractive to onlookers they will want to join in!
So, the end of all things is near for you. How are you doing in these five areas then? Measure yourself on a sliding scale to see where you are in each of these five. Then think about what you need to do to move up that scale.